Those who have had the unpleasant experience of seeing cockroaches scurrying across their countertops or floors will understand the importance of getting rid of the intruders ASAP.
If you have a severe infestation, you may need to call on an exterminator to handle the situation. However, you can get started on your own pest control regime with the following simple and natural ways to rapidly reduce or eliminate the cockroach population in your home or apartment:
- De-clutter- A clean home will not necessarily remain cockroach-free. Cockroaches are attracted to clutter, so they could take up residence in a disorganized home even if it is kept very clean. If you're a bit untidy and you're noticing more and more cockroaches, it may be time to straighten up a bit.
- Baking soda and sugar- Baking soda can kill different types of insect pests because it will cause an insect's stomach to burst when ingested. You should be able to get rid of some pests by mixing equal parts baking soda and sugar and leaving the mixture in an area where you've seen cockroaches.
- Soapy water- Spraying cockroaches with soapy water will often kill them, so keep a spray bottle on hand to help you deal with cockroach sightings.
- Catnip- Catnip will naturally repel cockroaches because of the nepetalactone that it contains. You can make a catnip solution by simmering catnip in water and spraying it in areas where cockroaches congregate. A huge advantage of using catnip is that it is non-toxic to both humans and pets.
- Diatomaceous earth- This substance can safely be sprinkled in areas where you've seen roaches to help kill the pests. Diatomaceous earth kills cockroaches by cutting into their exoskeletons. It will typically kill a cockroach within 48 hours of exposure, but it is harmless to humans.
- Garlic- Garlic is known to be highly effective as a cockroach repellent. Garlic powder can be sprinkled in infested areas to get rid of cockroaches. However, it's important to note that garlic is toxic to pets. If dogs and cats ingest garlic, they will suffer from a serious condition known as hemolytic anemia. Therefore, garlic is not a good option for pet owners.
- Check High places- Cockroaches tend to enjoy hanging out in high places like above cabinets and shelves. For best results, you should be sure to place some repellent in high places to get at cockroaches that might be hiding away in places that you can't see.
For more tips and information, contact a local extermination company, like AK Pest Control CVA. Inc.